Saturday, May 21, 2011

Woman behind a wheel

Most people who know me would probably say that I can sometimes (or maybe more often than not) be a reckless driver. I have never denied that: yes, I can be a reckless driver. Nonetheless I've always claimed still to be a good driver.

Well, this week I crashed my fifth car and started thinking if I should finally take a hint.

Let me explain.

I was around 12 years old when I learned to drive: my brother taught me. We had an old Toyota, which was not suitable for traffic but perfect for cruising in the country side. Me and my friend used to car surf: the other one would get on the roof and other one would drive the car and try to get her off the roof (yes mom, I know. It was stupid. But so much fun).

So that's how the recklesness started.  

I got my driver's licence when I was 18 and my first car at the same time (bought for me by my brother, thank you very much. Although I know he did it because he was afraid I'd want to drive his). My first accident happened the same summer: I was racing on a small road, when a car appeared around the corner (the trees were on the way.. and yes, I was speeding like crazy) and I ended up driving in the forest 80 km/h. 

Second accident happened two years after. I was driving my friend's Saab (he sat next to me) winter time in Helsinki, cruising on the icy roads. It got out of control and we ended up in the gutter, almost vertical, tail lights pointing up. All I could say after a moment of silence was: "Go push". He didn't.

Now third, and my utmost favourite, is the time when I crashed two cars at the same time. That happened 2008. Both of the cars belonged to my boss. 

You might think how it is possible to crash two cars at the same time. Well it's very easy. You just take one car and crash it to the other. It helps a lot if you don't look where you're going. And remember to speed up to get a really nice bang. You'll be hearing the judgement day trumpets after that, and seeing your life flash before your eyes (not kidding).

So that's four cars down.

And I still believed I was a good driver. Reckless, yes, but still good.

Well this week a rental Mitsubishi Colt and a narrow Portuguese street made me do some rethinking.

My conclusion was following:

a) Women should never drive

b) I should never drive





I did some research and found out that men are actually three times more likely to be in a fatal car accident than women. Men from 16 to 25 are considered to be the most risky drivers. However women are more likely to cause small accidents.

How I see it is that men are more reckless and that's why cause more fatal accidents. Women are more insecure and cause small accidents. 

Well I'm a woman, reckless, and have caused five small accidents (small yes, because no one has died or been taken to the hospital. Thank God). So which one of my conclusions is correct?

If you have an opinion on this one, please write it down on the comment section. I'd love to hear how many people think I should never be allowed to drive.

p.s. Mom I know you're shocked. Dad, I know you already knew.


"If your wife wants to learn to drive, don't stand in her way."
-Sam Levenson

No comments:

Post a Comment