Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ice hockey in Portugal

Yea, I know. It's been too long. I have been in Portugal the last seven days and to be honest, it's quite exhausting. No energy to update my blog, because that would require me to think ('coz my blog is so sophisticated.. yea don't say anything..).

Originally I had an idea to write about the bail-out and economy, that would be very journalistic. But I have to be honest (because journalists never lie): I have no idea what's going on with that. For me Portugal has been purely a vacation (and a well deserved one) and I have not been following the news.

But there is one thing I can mention that happened during this holiday: ice hockey. 

Yea, really.

For the people who don't know ice hockey is the national sport in Finland. Our self esteem as a country depends on how we do in ice hockey (and personally mine too). I love this sport so much and I have been quoted saying that I would give away my kidney if I could witness Finland winning the World Championship.

Well, anyone in need of a kidney?



It's quite difficult to watch ice hockey here in Portugal. Finally me and my friend put up a studio (which would be my laptop and a cup of coffee) in close-by McDonalds in Lisbon, because they had wifi. We watched the game online, in Estonian, getting all the looks from other customers (cause we were screaming and jumping and cheering). 

Later I got phone call from a friend in Helsinki. I don't really know what we talked about, because all I could hear was loud screming and shouting in the streets of Helsinki. But it didn't really matter. We were the champions. Awesome.

So sorry, but this is the best I can do now. I have two more days in Portugal and when I return to the Netherlands, I promise to go back being my smart and professional self. Believe it if you will.

"Ja sitten on kiekko maalissa, kiekko on maalissa, kiekko on maalissa, kiekko on maalissa kolmannen kerran peräkkäin!"
- Antero Mertaranta


No comments:

Post a Comment