Saturday, April 21, 2012

Two weeks of Solitude


I have gotten myself stuck in a calm and peaceful life here in Honduras. And I quite enjoy it. My days pass by quietly, with Spanish lessons in the morning, relaxing and reading in the afternoon. I rarely go out except to buy groceries. I find myself loving the solitude this place grants me. I do not miss the company of others, although I do enjoy the encounters with my lovely neighbor, Ale (the Brazilian).

Ale is the kind of girl that you just can't help but liking. She is sweet to everyone, always so happy and smiling. Plus she cooks great (although only vegetarian) and often invites me to eat.

Since last time I wrote I have found out that in the apartment below mine live two nice girls, Liza from the States and Joelyn (not sure how to spell) from Belgium. They work in café ViaVia, which is the gringo place to go around here.

Yesterday all of us girls went out to have pizza together. We were accompanied by Alejandro, are friend of the girls. We had a nice time and I did enjoy having company for a change. But it frustrates me that I am not yet able to construct complicated sentences in Spanish. I understand almost everything I hear, but talking is annoyingly hard. I don’t have enough vocabulary.

I have long been able to easily manage all daily things with my Spanish. But now I am at the point where those things are not enough anymore. I want to be able to talk about politics, history, health care and what kind of book I was reading last week. I want to be fluent in Spanish. But big news, as easy language as it is, it does not happen overnight.

In my peacefulness I have not succeeded in taking a lot of pictures. For this reason I have not posted them either. I would love to show you what a wonderful little town Copán is, but you will just have to wait until I get my inspiration. And it will come, before I leave. I am sure of it.

My Spanish school has a bookshelf with tons of books in English. I remember many times back in Finland, when I was complaining how I don’t have time to just read books anymore. Well, now I do. I have time to read as many books I want, while relaxing in a hammock, sweet dog next to me, having the warm Honduran sun make me feel like in paradise.

The peacefulness around here has a limit, though. And that limit is ten o’clock in the evening, when I usually go to bed (lame, huh?). That is exactly when all the dogs in the neighborhood start their two-hour barking contest. And after that, around four in the morning, the roosters start their serenade. But I got kind of used to that in Mexico already.

I am not yet sure of my future travel plans, but I am hoping to make it to Utila, one of Hondura’s Caribbean islands known as Bay Islands, to get certified as a diver. Utila is the cheapest place in the world to get certified, plus they have the second biggest coral reef in the world. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment