Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Que tal? Estoy en Honduras!

During my years of travel and work and other stuff I have learned that one of the most important things in life is to stay true to how you really feel. Trust your instincts. Listen to yourself.

Other thing that I have learned is that you should always be flexible to sudden changes in your travel plans. For these two and some other quite heavy reasons I decided not to stay in Guatemala. I know I made the right decision.

So, I just had to decide where to go then. With just a sketch of a map in my notebook, drawn by a friend, and a bag full of good will and hopes I hopped into a bus and took a 12-hour ride to Copán, Honduras. I arrived here last Friday, night o’clock at night. With that sketch, and just a name of a family, I was able to find the most awesome place for me to stay.

This awesome Honduran family, mom, dad and two kids, rent out small apartments. I have my own kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and most importantly; an internet that works. How excited am I! The family lives in the same building, and there’s a Brazilian girl renting the apartment next to mine. And is she sweet or what? I’m already so in love with her.

This area is very calm, which suits me perfectly. A hammock just outside my door is a perfect place to relax and read a book in the warm Honduran weather. Much better than in Xela.

The family also has two full-grown dogs and a puppy. One of the dogs, Oso (bear in Spanish), has become my new best friend. He likes to lie down on the floor next to me when I am reading in the hammock. So sweet.

One thing in Latin America is that there are dogs everywhere. And I so want to adopt them all. Today I saw a dog with no bottom jaw. Can you imagine that? Just a lip hanging low, and a tongue. He looked so miserable I wanted to hug him and take him home. Of course I didn’t.

I started Spanish lessons today in Guacamaya school. My teacher is fantastic, and sweet that she is, already complemented my Spanish. I feel I have learned a lot, and I get by already pretty well. My family here, for example, doesn’t speak English at all. Spanish is the main language also with my awesome Brazilian apartment-roomie.

Anyway, nothing much happened here yet. My stomach is still not so good, and I might have to switch medicine. We’ll see. Well, until next time, sweet dreams.

"Life at anytime can become difficult; life at any time can become easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."
- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment