Saturday, September 17, 2011

Made in China

Grown-up world is often serious and lacks imagination, which makes it sometimes hard to carry. I have had the privilege of being in the company of two intelligent and happy young boys, full of life, dreams and imagination. We have been talking about the most interesting things like the kitchen ghost, who is shy of people but likes to move stuff around in the kitchen so you won’t find anything, and magic dust, which is hard to come by these days; you have to become a member of magic society by completing dangerous tasks.

Both boys are so much fun and the closest brothers I’ve ever known, but completely different characters.  7-year-old Joshua is a thinker and reader, and he often asks difficult (also funny) questions or makes interesting remarks.

I’d like to share some of those moments and remarks with you.

One evening we were having chicken for dinner, when Joshua started telling how previous year at school they had an experiment with farm animals. They brought chicken eggs to class and watched them hatch and grow from small chicks to bigger chicks and eventually they went back to the farm.

Joshua: “Those chicks were so cute! I love them, especially the black one. But she is probably a chicken by now, and has her own chicks.”
Me: “Yes, and we are probably eating her right now.”
(people trying not to laugh, failing epically… Finally dad tried to calm the situation)
Dad: “Yes, it was nice that you had those chicks. Now please eat your chicken.”

Joshua likes spaceships a lot. One day he told me he wants to call NASA and ask if he could use one their spaceships and launch some ants to space.
Me: “what do you think the people at NASA would say to such a request?”
Joshua: “Well they would probably think it’s a joke. But don’t worry, I will explain to them that it is not a joke but an experiment, so I am sure they will understand.”

Joshua: “Helena, are some people allergic to fish?”
Me: “Yes, some people are.”
Joshua: “Awww. So they can’t have an aquarium then.”
Me: “No, for sure they can have aquarium. They just can’t eat fish.”
Joshua: “Oh, I see. Well how about if your grandpa is allergic to fish?”
Me: “You can still eat it, if you are not allergic.”
Joshua: “So you just have to make sure your grandpa doesn’t eat any fish.”

Joshua: “This watch is not original.”
Me: “How do you know that?”
Joshua: “It’s not made in China. All original things are made in China.”

I’ve also had some very funny moments with the younger brother, Sam. With him it’s mostly something physically funny, he tends to do tricks and expressions. Also he is quite the daredevil, climbs absolutely anything in a blink of an eye.

We went to visit aquarium with Sam quite recently and saw some tigers there. A conversation followed few days later:
Sam: “What do you want for your birthday, Helena?”
Me: “I want a tiger. Can you get one for me?”
Sam: “Sure.”
Me: “How do you plan getting it?”
Sam: “I can spend the night at the aquarium and when everyone is sleeping, I will take one of theirs and I can mail it to you to Mexico.”
Me: “Oh, thanks. What do you think the mailman will say about that package delivery?”
Sam: “Ohh, he would probably say he is not gonna deliver it. But his boss will make him do it.”
Me: “Oh, then we have nothing to worry. I will be waiting for my tiger.”

These are just few examples of the moments I’ve experienced and will cherish rest of my life. And today, when I had to say goodbye to the boys, they nicely came to me and handed me a present, gave me hugs and kisses and thanked me for playing with them. And after receiving my present, Samuel sincerely asked me: “so what are you going to give us, Helena?”

Well, I don’t know. My heart you have already stolen. My thoughts and prayers are with you every day. Probably I cannot give you anything compared to what you have given me; and I am not just talking about the present.

Joshua and Samuel, you are the true inspiration of my life.

"Helena, this is your last day here, and I am kind of sad. I wish I could come wherever you go and play with you every day."
Samuel, 5 y.

No comments:

Post a Comment