Friday, September 23, 2011

Always one fly in the soup

The Mexicans have a saying that there is always at least one fly in the soup. By that they mean that there is always some kind of problem in your life. Oh boy is that right!

First when I got to my new house, I was greeted by a total mess left by the previous person living there. She had left her furniture, which I knew and am grateful of, but also a lot of other.. stuff. Hard to describe. The fridge was a mess, I found things I didn’t even recognize anymore. Took me five times to clean the floor until it was even remotely clean, the stove doesn’t work and there is not water in the kitchen. But on the bright side, I have a beautiful back yard with lots of flowers and plants (aloe vera!), butterflies and birds.. and tons of insects and dreadfully big spiders!

But that is not all. After I got the house to somewhat livable condition, my car broke down. You see, the house is not exactly on the highway, so a car is a necessity. We fixed the car. It broke again. We fixed it again. It broke down three times.

And in addition to that, I caught some terrible stomach bug only God knows where, and have not been able to eat properly for three days. But hey, I wanted to learn the Mexican lifestyle and culture! So welcome, and enjoy!

But all of those things aside, my new home town is very pretty with awesome beaches and the mountains in the back, gorgeous view of the ocean and most importantly – really good tacos! Maybe in time I will learn to enjoy my soup with a few flies in it. And I prefer flies to bees anyway.

I will try to report my movements and life here in Mexico the best I can. However internet is also hard to come by, so be patient. And please, come to visit!

"Everyone has seen photographs of Mexicans wearing those big sombreros. When you come to Mexico, the astonishing thing is, nobody wears these hats at all."
-Bruce Beresford

No comments:

Post a Comment