Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The last ride

Yesterday I said goodbye to a really close friend. I don’t know when I will see her again, if ever. But this is not the first time I have left her, and I feel sad.

I still remember the first day we met like it was yesterday. It was a cold December day almost four years ago, with tons of snow everywhere. We were introduced by a lady, who told me she was sometimes suspicious of new people but once I would get to know her, she would be the best friend ever.

When I saw her, I felt connection instantly. I knew we would be really good friends. I really wanted to make the effort to win her trust and get to know her well. So we began our friendship. Sure it was rough at first; she was very stubborn and liked to do things her own way – just like me. But I had been right; we had a connection, which soon grew into a profound relationship.

But then, around nine months after we had met, I had to leave. I know she might have not understood. I left with no explanation. Sure, I would be mad about that too.

I saw her briefly almost two years ago, when I was visiting Colorado. She remembered me well. Same thing this time: when I went to meet her about a month ago, she played upset, but couldn’t be angry at me for long. She still remembered all the fun that we had together.

But yesterday was goodbye – again. I didn’t tell her that I am leaving soon. I didn’t have to. She knew. So while the sun was setting behind the magnificent Rocky Mountains, coloring the sky deep orange, there we were, side by side, silently. No words were needed. She understood. She knew I was sad too.

She stood calmly while I groomed her and made her ready for our last ride. She tried to comfort me by gently rubbing her head against my shoulder. And in her eyes I saw, that she would miss me, but she knew I had to go.

I have gone through countless of goodbyes in my life, but this one has by far been the hardest. It’s only once in a million years that you meet such a soul mate. Shoshoni, you will always be the mare of my heart.


"The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit and fire."
- Sharon Ralls Lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment