Monday, June 20, 2011

On the road again

I have not completely unpacked my suitcase ever since I left Finland in January. It seemed unwise: I’d be going again soon enough. Plus I feel comfortable having my clothes in the suitcase rather than in a closet. If I put them in a closet, it means I’m staying. And I don’t want to stay.

I’ve been travelling outside Holland so much that I don’t really feel that I’ve lived here. But when I look back now I realize I have felt comfortable in this weird Dutch society. I love the biking, how convenient it is and how people take it seriously. I love how the bikes most people use would be considered really crappy in Finland, but how they actually are comfy and useful here.

I’m going to miss my afternoon lattes in the cozy Dutch cafes, where the service is terrible but no one really cares. I’m going to miss my awesome gym, which had zumba classes every day – so addicted! And I don’t know how I will adapt to a life where I am no longer a hobbit in the land of giants.

But most importantly I’m going to miss all the funny and intelligent people I had the privilege of becoming friends with. Even though I was absent every other week, I grew fond of the time we spent together; interesting conversations about journalism over a drink, joking around in the classroom, playing games and just having a good time.

I love travelling because I love meeting new people. Every person I encounter is like a newspaper article; with some I spend more time than with others, but each is worth reading. Some make me laugh, some make me cry, some make me think; all of them shape my view of the world.

And then there are some I feel are worth saving: I file them up in a folder to keep them with me.

This is the case with most of the people I met in Holland. But don’t worry, I’m not actually going to put you in a folder. It was a metaphor. Which you of course knew (it gets so much better when you explain it, doesn’t it?).

I should probably say that I’m sad to leave, but that would be a lie. I’m not sad, quite the opposite. One chapter in my life has ended, but it doesn’t mean the new one couldn’t be even better. Always be thankful for the experiences you had, but confident tomorrow will be even more exciting.

I know most of you will return to your home countries (or just stay in Holland if you happen to be Dutch). You know that’s not the case with me. But I want to tell you that I’m sure your home towns and cities can offer you a life full of challenges and adventures. I’m living a gypsy life, but you can choose to stay put and still have an exciting life.

Follow your dreams. Don’t listen to the people who tell you that you can’t do something. Together we are going to rock the world. 

"No person has the right to rain on your dreams."
-Marian Wright Edelman

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you're really going to miss Holland, so cute! I hope you will write a lot more brilliant stories (hopefully some in English).. Enjoy the gypsy lifestyle!

    Ciao!

    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yvette! That is my wish too ;) I will never stop writing or doing journalism... It would be like living with no air. Take care and hopefully we will meet again soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zumbaa? Skarppaa Hellu :DDD
    Terveiset Osakasta!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zumba on ihan parasta!! Kiitos terkuista :) Enjoy the trip ;)

    ReplyDelete