Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Egypt in my heart

When I watched the sunset and the stars spread across the sky in Sahara almost two years ago, I knew Egypt would hold a special place in my heart for years to come.

I spent two awesome summers in Aleksandria, studying Arabic and making many wonderful friends. And it was these friends, intelligent and passionate young Egyptians, who made me convinced that Egypt could have a brilliant future. 

When the revolution began in Egypt I really wanted to be there. Unfortunately it was not possible for me. I was excited for my friends, yet worried at the same time. 

I don't think the world will ever be the same again after this huge wave of revolutions sweeping across the Arabic world. And I don't just mean the changes that may or may not occur in those countries: I mean the West will never be the same again. 

In the article “The disappearance of the nightmare Arab” (published in Huffington Post 9th of March) a writer and a columnist James Carroll writes:

“After two months of world-historic protest and rebellion in streets and squares across the Arab world, we are finally waking up to another reality: that this was our bad dream, significantly a creation of our own fevered imaginations.”

Carroll is referring to the image that most Westerns have of Arabs: angry Muslims who seek to destroy all non-believers. But now it’s really a time to wake up and see the reality. Carroll calls the revolution in Arabic world “the revolution of hope”. He says that now, at the very least, we in the West must reckon with this overturning of the premises of our prejudice.

While in many countries the situation remains unstable and even severly dangerous, like in Libya, in Egypt the changes have begun. There are many obstacles still on the way and it’s not going to be painless. But the people of Egypt have shown such strength and courage that I have no doubt that they will never give up. And this revolution will be theirs, and theirs only, no one can take it from them.

With the words of Sami Yusuf I wish all the best for Egypt:
 
"Don't give up nor despair
There's nothing you can't repair
You can change this world to a better world"




No comments:

Post a Comment